View Single Post
Old 05-23-2023, 03:38 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

May 17, 1998

Yet another day where I'm on my own! Unofficially,

After over a week of perilous travel along the frozen Yukon River, the troops of B Co., 2nd Battalion 297th Infantry (part of the 1st Infantry Brigade (Arctic Recon)) secure the USAF forward operating base at Galena, Alaska, which the Air Force was forced to abandon the prior summer.

The defense of Erbach an der Donau finally comes under pressure, not from the now-daily frontal assault by the 62nd Tank Division on the same entrenched defenders with artillery support on call but from Soviet forces advancing along the north bank of the Danube from the city of Ulm, which fell under Soviet control several days ago.

Days after departing its last patrol station in the English Channel and successfully avoiding Belgian naval patrols and Danish minefields, the Kilo-class submarine B-888 passes through the Kattegat, the narrow sea that forms the mouth of the Baltic. Ignoring the long-compromised idea of Swedish neutrality, the Soviet boat traverses Swedish territorial waters. Its passage is noted by a bottom-mounted hydrophone array, and the Swedish Navy dispatches a former Coast Guard C-212 maritime patrol aircraft to investigate. The plane's observer sees the submerged boat, and the plane circles overhead while patrol boats with depth charges are sortied. (The Kilo's periscope-mounted surface-to-air missile system has been out of missiles for over a year). After several hours of hunting and evading, the Soviet boat, damaged and with dead batteries, surfaces for the crew to abandon ship before being scuttled. Swedish sailors board the boat and secure the seacocks before it can be sent to the bottom; the boat is taken under tow to the nearby naval base in Goteborg.

CIA Agent David Hudson, after spending five nights walking through rural Estonia, arrives at the small fishing village of Vőiste on the coast of the Gulf of Riga. He makes contact with a "CIA contractor", a local fisherman whose father was shot by the Soviets after their recapture of Estonia in 1944-5 (a not uncommon occurrence). The fishing boat captain is still willing to continue his long-standing service for the CIA (and MI6), in exchange for Hudson's remaining gold coins. After dark the captain's fishing boat sets sail, taking his passenger out of Soviet territorial waters.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...