View Single Post
Old 07-09-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughOmbres View Post
Politically I would think a draft would be too risk before we were directly involved for an Administration.

I agree there would have been a relatively short window for the draft-you figure a year for Basic and even a quick AIT for someone to absorb knowledge and become proficient in their slot. Probably just as importantly we still (1995ish) had enough active posts that could spin up and conduct Basic.
Yeah, since GDW basically went with the 1988ish US ORBAT with no new units (AFAIK), my head canon says that draftees (and volunteers) were used to round out activated NG units (given that the whole NG round out brigade thing proved dubious during Desert Shield / Desert Storm) and replace combat losses for existing units. Training divisions were intended to (in head canon at least) to turn out trained classes which would then be directed to individual units in small batches. The conversion of these training orgs to actual combat units was an emergency measure in mid to late 1998.

Context: writing a Texas Almanac: 2000, and trying to fill in the back history of the war for Texas in general, and installations like Ft. Hood etc.