Thread: Coolest Camo
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2023, 08:21 PM

Default Belgian Jigsaw for the cool; Woodland for hiding

I think the Belgian Jigsaw pattern just looks cool, and it’s was issued during the period. That said, it seems a little bright for actual hiding use. I’d have to go with a somewhat faded set of US woodlands in which seemed to work a little better after a few FTXs when they had toned down. Outside of Korea and some schools I don’t recall wearing the heavyweight BDUs much, but spent a lot of time in the cotton and 50/50 ripstop hot weather BDUs.

For field wear during most of the year the cotton ones were awesome since they dried very quickly and kept you as cool as possible. On the downside, they wore out quickly (my cuffs had a habit of coming off!), were almost impossible for garrison wear since they wrinkled so easily, and faded (cook whites) quickly. A set I wore during back-to-back NTC rotations faded into a really subdued color that almost worked in the desert but was good for nothing but DX back home. The rip-stops were a little hotter, but lasted longer and were truly four season (in the south).

Favorite uniform ever is a close contest between the Vietnam-era OG107 jungle fatigues worn at JRTC and the rip-stop coffee stain deserts. Both were exceptionally comfortable, and fairly effective as long as you did your part by staying still, etc. FWIW, my OG’s seemed to get more effective the longer I wore them, as they picked up grass and mud stains which broke up the overall green effect. Some guys in the recon plt were allowed to experiment with spray painting their 107s to achieve a disruptive effect as well.

One item I’ve noticed in coverage of the fighting in Ukraine that would likely come into wide use in T2K would be the adoption of some form of tactical recognition sign or symbol, whether it’s a colored arm or helmet band, a contrasting shape, etc. Since uniformity may have long ago fallen by the wayside, and it’s possible to have mixed nationalities, such a system provides a quick and easy method of IFF no matter what “uniform” or kit is being worn. A part of daily security measures could be changing color or location of the sign.

To continue CastleBravo92’s analogy to the late Roman Era, the mobile elements of surviving units (aka “comitatenses”) may be uniformed and equipped in the best possible approximate of their pre-war national issue and appear similar to the group on the v1.0 box cover. Militia or static division base units (aka “limitanei”) may have a substitute standard, captured/civilian kit, or an admixture. Cold weather gear, etc. will likely be a mix of issue, captured, and civilian types. Both military clothing repair (SLCR) and cantonment civilians will be involved in the repair, repurposing, and manufacture of substitute standard clothing and equipment as resources permit. This includes the “harvest” of surplus friendly, civilian, and enemy clothing and kit wherever possible during battlefield cleanup.

Last edited by Homer; 07-10-2023 at 08:06 AM.