Thread: Coolest Camo
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2023, 04:04 PM

Default NVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
That's a good question. The issue is even further complicated if one uses the v1.0 timeline. The Bundeswehr would be absorbing a bunch of former DDR troops (whilst other East German military forces will be fighting against the West Germans/NATO). That means that the Bundeswehr is not only going to have to kit out its own, rapidly expanding organic forces (regular army, territorial, mobilized reserves, etc.), it's going to have to kit out tens, maybe hundreds of thousands former DDR troops as well. Will the Bundeswehr try to outfit them in Bundeswehr fatigues, or allow them to continue to wear their DDR uniforms?

In my T2kU, Bundeswehr regulars wear Flecktarn. Reservists and conscripts mostly wear the old, 1957 pattern Olivfarben (Olive green) combat unis. I think the Bundeswehr would try to kit out former DDR troops in either of those uniforms ASAP, but some might have to retain their DDR kit longer until manufacturing supply catches up to demand. That's going to create IFF issues between Unionist and Loyalist German forces. It's also interesting to note that both Polish and Czech forces used their own version of the East German "Raindrop" pattern camo.

The attached photo shows troops from some former Soviet republic kitted out in East German combat fatigues. It's pretty T2k, IMHO.
Good point-hadn't even thought about the NVA. Given the huuuge stocks of NVA surplus that appeared post 1991 I wonder if the newly unified Germany wouldn't issue the rain pattern NVA until supplies were exhausted and give brassards or arm shields for sheer practicality?

Another option-The Bundeswehr would have top priority for the new Flecktarn pattern while passing the old moleskin gray/grau to NVA formations. Flecktarn smocks, Jackets and shirts/blouses would be issued to NVA formations as supplies became available so the NVA forces would resemble British Paras in World War 2-Camo Denison Smocks on top and green pants-if that makes sense.