View Single Post
Old 07-10-2023, 04:26 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughOmbres View Post
Long before Iraq/Afghanistan the US Army used Stop Loss pretty often right before and then during REFORGER IRL. I would imagine by 1995 unit commanders would begin quietly using or consider using Stop Loss on a small scale.

Normally if you have been out more than three years regardless of the fine print or the emergency it's not worth bringing you back onto active duty-too many things have changed.
I read a post-Desert Storm study of recalled inactive reservists. Some had been off active duty for less than a month, others no more than 2 years. When they got called up they were treated, in general, like new trainees fresh off the street, with reserve drill sergeants to bring them up to speed. Some of these guys were combat vets from Panama and nearly all of them thought themselves up to speed, just needing to get back into shape maybe, and found the treatment extremely degrading. After finally getting certified combat ready, they were sent to Germany as replacements, where in many cases the gaining commanders put them on menial duties...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughOmbres View Post
Lots of older guys with real physical problems that wouldn't excuse them too-many exceptions to policy.
I served with a supply sergeant stationed in Germany during Desert Storm. They took his armorer/clerk to fill out another unit and sent him a replacement from the IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve). The guy had been put out of the Army 5 years or more prior for being overweight and hadn't stopped eating since. They sent him to Germany on an exception to policy and wearing a....
maternity uniform!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...