View Single Post
Old 07-11-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlebravo92 View Post
Yeah, since GDW basically went with the 1988ish US ORBAT with no new units (AFAIK), my head canon says that draftees (and volunteers) were used to round out activated NG units (given that the whole NG round out brigade thing proved dubious during Desert Shield / Desert Storm) and replace combat losses for existing units. Training divisions were intended to (in head canon at least) to turn out trained classes which would then be directed to individual units in small batches. The conversion of these training orgs to actual combat units was an emergency measure in mid to late 1998.
What do you mean by using draftees to "round out" activated NG units? Are the Guard units left behind, and the barely-trained draftees are sent to the divisions mobilizing and going to Europe in the fall of '96? Surely, the existing Guard brigades and battalions would be easier and quicker to send to the front?

I agree that the "ready in a few weeks" promise of the round-out program didn't seem to work IRL 1990-91, but they're still better than starting from scratch.