View Single Post
Old 07-13-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlebravo92 View Post
So, let's say the 256th Infantry Brigade (Mechanized) - Louisiana National Guard - gets mobilized as part of the 5th ID deployment to Europe. The unit itself may not be at full strength, even on paper, and during the work up, some percentage of the NG troops will be unfit for purpose and won't be able to deploy - whatever total percentage that ends up being 10-50% (or whatever), draftees would likely fill. This would increasingly be the case with NG units mobilized later and later in the war...they either deploy under strength, or once activated, they leverage the same draft/recruiting pool as normally active duty divisions. Pre-draft, obviously, they would pull from the recruiting pool, but assuming draft starts in Oct/Nov 96, you would likely see remaining unit complements being filled (at least partly) by draftees by Jun/Jul of 97.
OK, so no differently than filling gaps in the regular units, other than assuming there are more gaps in the NG units. I misunderstood your point.

I think we're also drifting into the idea that IRR reservists would be used to fill in the regular formations, while mobilizing the Guard's formations would take long enough (months) that draftees would be able to cover shortfalls there.

Last edited by Adm.Lee; 07-13-2023 at 02:35 PM.