View Single Post
Old 08-19-2023, 02:12 PM

Someone here, maybe 5 years back, pointed out that the Polish government-in-exile from WW2 still existed until 1991, so I followed that lead, and the PFC was those people, both covertly preceding and openly following in the wake of the 1997 NATO offensive into Poland. Maybe one or another NATO intel agency, British or American, is their chief sponsor.

After the 1997 pullback, the PFC and NATO intelligence groups supported partisan movements and intel networks in Poland, including encouraging unit defections such as the 1st & 2nd PFL.

IMC, I like the idea that part of the 2000 Baltic coast offensive was to support a wider unit-defection scheme that didn't work out/disrupted by the KGB. As part of the fallout from that, those formations mentioned above belatedly switched sides. Why they did that when there's still Soviets in Poland, I'm not sure, but perhaps it's because there aren't many Soviet formations in their part of Poland, and they're hoping they can rally enough people and other assets to start pushing the Soviets back.

So, to answer your above questions, I'd say it's generally pro-NATO and friendly to the XI US Corps stay-behinds. They may have even encouraged that decision, to support that pushback campaign as next summer's military goal?

I imagine its longer-term political goals are a non-Communist, anti-Soviet Poland. I'd like to think its goals aren't the restoration of the 1939 borders, but that's certainly a possibility among its no-longer-exiled leadership?