View Single Post
Old 08-22-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I doubt that many motorized vehicles* (AFVs, trucks, Humvees, etc.) would be intentionally left behind by US forces leaving Poland- they'd most likely end up in Germany. US troops would need their vehicles to get to Bremerhaven before the convoy sails. From there, I think it would depend on what the Germans decide to do with all of those "donated" US vehicles. Would the Germans disburse some of those "donated" US vehicles to the PFC? Quite possibly. It would depend a lot on relations between the two Governments (Unified Germany and the PFC).

Assuming Germany wants to maintain a buffer against renewed Soviet aggression, then giving relinquished US vehicles to the PFC makes a lot of sense. However, Germany might be more focused on ejecting French forces from its soil. That being the case, I think the Germans would keep the bulk of "donated" US vehicles for themselves.

*Non-SP artillery, on the other hand, probably would be left in situ, consequently ending up in the hands of the PFC.
-
This is what I was thinking: Hardly any American equipment would be left in Poland for the PFC, since the XI Corps isn't leaving in the first place, and the heavy stuff left behind by the rest of the US Army would be in Bremerhaven, on the far side of Germany. Unless the Germans (who seem to be a committe of Army commanders?) have an agreement with the PFC, why would they ship any of that stuff back across Germany, to another army, allied or not?

Having said all that, maybe-- if the newly-unified Germans wanted leverage over the PFC in 1997-98-- they could have sponsored the formation of some PFC units by donating some of the East German gear & vehicles as they upgrade East units to FRG establishment.