View Single Post
Old 09-11-2023, 03:20 PM

I've decided in my game, that satellites and GPS is still working. BUT.

If players are in a foreign country (ie USA players in Europe) then they know nothing about the wider map. While they can determine north, south, west due to the sun for instance, they are unlikely to know what towns/villages/enemy/friendlies are in which direction.

I also try to rely on paper maps more. So in contrast to the above, PCs have a map so they know where towns are and have some idea where enemy v friendly forces are likely to be. This increases the reliance on navigation rolls, which suits my game because it becomes an important skill and tension point that isn't combat related. Also, my players tend to travel off road, insuring more navigation rolls and modifiers than most others i think.

I can see some cases where GPS might be used. I'd explain the patchy way i might use it as the amount of satellites and support network is no longer 100% maintained. So sometimes you get no signal, sometimes you get a strong or weak signal. And the randomness becomes part of the game tension and story arc.

So in summary i say yes GPS would work, some of the time. And how you apply that to your game is up to you.