View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 12:59 PM

These are some interesting thought you have here. However, may I ask you why the soviet whould use nukes on the Afghan?

They have left Afghanistan in 1988 but Najibullah's regime still hold the ground (and he remains a close ally to Moscow). In fact, by 1991, the Mujahideen are loosing ground everywhere after a serie of defeat at the hand of the Afghani army (starting with Jalalabad). In addition, the Afghani airforce developped anti-stinger tactics that proved highly successful and they are, then, totally unchallenged.

In 1991 the Mujahideen are on the verge of defeat, Massoud has been negociating with Najibullah's regime and (IRL) they lose only because of the sudden stop of soviet aid in 1992. Whatever, your timeline, soviet support will remain and there is a good chance to see the communist winning in Afghanistan by 1993-1994. In fact, by 2000, Kabul should be the last stable communist-like government. Of course, you can expect, unrest in Pashtoun regions but, with Pakistan devastated, nothing that can overthrow Najibullah's regime.

I know that in v2.2 canon is putting things very differently but with what they state in their timeline, it is non-sense. The only explanation that I can find comes from widespread disinformation on the situation in Afghanistan by the West at the time. I was in my 20's and I don't recall any report stating that the Mujahideens were on the verge of loosing the war (what they actually do at the hand of the Talibans in 1996).

Last edited by Mohoender; 08-18-2009 at 01:13 PM.