View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
-too many to fit in one poll, so I stuck with military vehicles.

Other countries have trucks/SUVs too, BTW. The first image in Osprey's New Vanguard volume on Technicals is a Dodge truck operated by the PFLP in Amman, Jordan in 1970. Various militias employed various makes and models of trucks (CJ-series Jeeps, Dodges, Chevys, Land Rovers, and Toyota Land Cruisers, to name a few) technicals in Lebanon in the 1980s (widely considered the birthplace of the technical). Chad and Libya (especially the latter) made extensive use of civilian model truck-based technicals in the Great Toyota War of the late 1980s. And then, of course, the technical became famous in Somalia in the mid 1990s.

It's not just paramilitaries that operate trucks and SUVs outside of the U.S. When I lived in Ecuador in the late '80s, a lot of upper class [civilian] families owned SUVs (Toyotas, Mitsubishis, and Chevys, predominantly, with a few older model Land Rovers still kicking around). So, although they were/are most common there, SUVs and trucks are not exclusive to the U.S.A.
I agree with you completely and amend my previous statement - and for those wanting to set a campaign in Africa by 2001 there literally is every kind of modified SUV technical/gun truck you can think of in use. They would make up the bulk of the Somali mobile forces being used for everything from APC's to anti-aircraft to anti-tank equipped SUV's - even ones with light mortars mounted to them. Ditto for much of the Rwandan Army and for the LRA as well.