View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
By this November the Germans should be in full swing for the war with Pact forces (I'm guessing in Poland since you mentioned Rostok so it must be after unification). Anyways, I'm not too sure its probable that they'd have over "22 surface ships and 8 submarines" sitting in the port. Just a thought.

Its interesting to see you have France as participating too.
Actually that's what they had until about 2005, at least for the ships with exception of the Hiddensee which was delivered to the US, being the only ship of this class on museum display.

At rostock were stationned the 2 and 7. Schnellbootgeschwader (10 Type 143 and 10 type 143A). An other units is also currently stationed at this base. As many ship that were still around in 1995 have since been taken out of commission I could take some initiative. Actually, the subs are at Kiel as they always were. but with the war coming it is plausible that the Deutsche Marine dispatches Minesweepers and submarines to other bases. They currently have 10 submarines left (1 unit) but if the sub were not put out of commission they would have at least 30: 6 Type 205, 18 type 206A and 6 Type 212 (at least). That counts for 3 units. Actually, I still consider that they have built only 6 Type 212 but, in fact, they could have built much more of them. You can also add about 16 Type 148 schnellboot that were put out of commission between 1995 and 2002.

A a result, I consider that a full unit of sub is stationed there and they are a primary target. The same apply to Minesweeper except that they are no primery target.

Take a look at the naval OOB I put under Navies in T2K, it is pretty accurate in term of ships available (multiple sources with changes in policies taken into account). Of course, ship locations serve my purpose and it is less accurate but it is still based on real facts. One can even argue that the Deutsche Marine would have kept all the east german ships.

For France, I have several reasons to have it party to the war (for a time only). First France, despite leaving the integrated command of NATO always complied to its obligations to the treaty (we refused to follow on Iraq as that was a war of aggression and no NATO members was obligated to answer Bush's call. However, we are in Afghanistan as every other NATO members as US was effectively attacked by Afghanistan through al quayda). France could, of course have refused the call for help issued by Germany on the same base but the closest ally to France for at least 40 years is Germany. We would not let them be crushed. No way! I disagreed with the author's view on France since I bought the game for the first time in 1991. That should also explain why it didn't sell in France at the time.

By the way what I say on Iraq is not a matter of opinion but only a fact recognized by every official authorities today (including US administration, Bush and Obama alike). Therefore refrain from any political argumentation, it's irrelevant here.