View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_uk View Post
So how does this factor into WW3?

So with the combined forces of NATO and a now hostile East-Germany. The Soviets then add to this by trying to take West-Berlin. What's the logic in this?

The timeline says 'a week of bitter of street fighting' (I doubt the Allies can hold off longer than that).

Adding this puts further strain on France not intervening, its very hard for them to withdraw from NATO when the Soviets are shooting at their soldiers. Unless they withdraw? Leave the US and UK in the lurch?

Thoughts?
There is one option that I have not noticed in this discussion on the fate of Berlin. With France needing a safe out for the war, the French soldiers in West Berlin could have been under orders to "stand down".

France wants nothing to do with a re-united Germany, having lost to them three times in seventy years. (Franco-Prussian War, WWI, WWII)

However, with Germany "re-united" under Soviet rule, the French realize that the Soviets would need 10-20 years to fully integrate Western Germany onto Eastern Germany.

Anything could happen in those years. For certain, France gets rid of the hated US and UK troops posted in West Germany/Belgium/Netherlands. This goes a long way to freeing up French troops to be down sized to support France's social spending. Also, France becomes the defacto "leader" of Western Europe. France also becomes a viable voice in the "neutral" countries of the world. I could see some sort of loose confederation between France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, and Switzerland. Spain, Italy and Portugal could be persuaded to join.

My $0.02

Mike