View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
Wandering back to Berlin and a possible Soviet assault, there may be forces that we are not accounting for. My best friend back then was stationed in Berlin, and he'd noticed that there were a lot of German police in the city, well-stocked with antitank weapons and organized into platoons and companies. In his opinion, there was at least a shadow battalion of German light infantry to help defend the city.

He altered his copy of SPI's Berlin '85 game to account for these, and it was very much a standoff of the Soviets.

In some playings of either VG's NATO, or GDW's TWW games, I've flown the German parachute brigades into the city to help stall a Soviet or Polish attempt to attack it. Even without those reinforcements, it's generally a 3-week battle of attrition to take West Berlin, and that will shatter a Soviet or Polish army that one needs much more at the front.
It wasn't only in Berlin that the German's had the paramilitary forces. I think you're spot on with the idea the Berlin Police would become light infantry. Berlin would be a hard nut to crack for WP. It would definately eat up resources for the WP unless they just backed off and turned it into rubble with a nuke.