View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post
Question about Thunder Empire, do you have a written command structure? As in a listing of each department on base and their areas of responsibility?

I am trying to come up with a unique structure myself and I keep leaning towards one based around our current US government style since I have no clue about all the different offices in the military
See attachment for the Thunder Empire command structure.

Regarding military structures, I advise reading James Dunnigan's How to Make War. Also, have a look at the US Army Vehicle Guide for Twilight: 2000.

In the US Army structure that existed in the mid-1990's, each division had three combat brigades, plus a number of separate battalions providing specialty services. The combat brigades were (and are) the flesh and bone of the division, while the support battalions function as the internal organs that keep the flesh and bone in action. Each combat (or maneuver) brigade tended to have three so-called line battalions, plus an artillery battalion, some engineers, and other specialty troops. The line battalions were either light infantry or a mix of mechanized infantry and armor.

The exigencies of combat notwithstanding, companies are ordinarily led by a captain (O-3), who has a first lieutenant (O-2) as an XO and a first sergeant (E-8) to provide advice and oversight of the care and well-being of the troops. Battalions are commanded by a lieutenant colonel (O-5) or a very senior major (O-4) and have a significant staff, special troops, and three to five companies. In the 1990's, the principal staffs were S-1 (Personnel), S-2 (Intel), S-3 (Operations), and S-4 (Logistics). Sometimes you'd see an S-5 (Host Nation Support/Civil Affairs) added in, but that wasn't as common as it is now. Today, there are many more staff sections in a US Army battalion.

The S-1 is led by a captain who typically hasn't had company command yet. The S-2 also tends to get a captain, but this guy is doing a job that is the equivalent of company command in the MI career path; so he tends to be slightly more senior than the S-1. The S-3 is a major, as is the XO. The S-4 is led by a captain who also is waiting for his chance at company command.

I could go on and on about how things were organized during peacetime in the 1990's. Much has changed, although much remains the same. In any event, the peacetime TO&E is merely a reference point for what is happening in 2000/2001. Plenty of battalions are going to be under the command of captains and first lieutenants. Plenty of companies will be led by a second lieutenant or the company first sergeant.

Webstral
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Fort Huachuca Forces, 2001.pdf (9.2 KB, 188 views)