View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 04:40 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Lets see,

I like the BMP-T, it has a reduced capacity for Dismounts, It also looks pretty cramped with an internal height of less than my waist, lovely. I do not see the firing ports along the sides either which means the dismounts can no longer add fire. And they can't observe as easily either.

And it looks like their infrered monitor is not all that protected.

As an American Infantryman, I give it my thumbs up for the Russians!

I just hope they still have the fuel cell on the rear hatch like they had before

As the BTR, it is not wheeled. It is heavy, it is a tank, it has the same issues as the above BMP-T, so I also give it my thumbs up.

And, further, I have to ask, since they are tank what kind of maintenance will they require? Especialy as I am assuming they would simply convert the legions of T-55s and 65s to this platform. Are they restricted to the same terrain as tanks? Remember light armored vehicles and armored personel carriers usualy have the advantage of being lighter so they can go on softer ground, lighter bridges and more importantly be airlifted or even air deployed.

So, if the above have not been addressed then it makes me wonder, did they just down grade a tank so they can carry a fireteam? Although I do like the idea of modifying an obsolete system to be of some use. But also, how useful is a large costly vehicle that only carries one fireteam? How many vehicles would be needed to sieze and hold a positon?

Oh, and unless it is uparmored they are in essance T-55/65s, thus they can be dealt with with a AT-4 easy enough. And again, do they have the fuel cell in the rear door that makes taking them out much easier?