View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 06:33 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

One must also remember that the actions in Isreal are not operations where the tanks or troop carriers are traveling over large distances to sieze and hold or reinforce positions in hostile territory where the enemy has similair or heavier forces who are expected to counter attack.

I was pointing out some basic things is all, I do not see those vehicles having an overly tall compartment, which means a cramped and overly fatiguing ride for the dismounts, as well as the possibility of having confusion getting in or out.

The older PACT personel carriers had firing ports in the sides and the rear so the passengers can add to the fire capability. I did not see these.

Further, I did not see vison ports in them for the dismounts. Agaiin reducing the ability by the dismounts to observe.

Those two aspects that are also missing on most American vehicles as well.

One thing that is often forgotten about armored personel carriers is the comfort of the troops riding inside. If they are bounced around and battered from ridding over rough roads, freezing or have been pouring out swet and near dehydration or cramped for sometime their effectiveness is diminished.

And again I still want to know if they have their common fuel cell in the rear hatch/door because that is a major achillies heel of most Russian APCs.

And also as they are built on a tank frame, they have alot of issues concerning maintenance because tanks need ALOT of maintenance. So the support needs will most likely be greater than a standard APC as well as working on a 30 or 40 year old system.

As for weapons remaining being assault weapons and machineguns. Not really. Because of their high rate of fire, coupled with green gunners I would bet that alot of machineguns would be worn out, the high use causes lots of heat, the barrels will burn out first, and the oher moving parts will just wear and burn up. I would imagine after four years of war few units would have their any of their original machineguns and I am guessing they would be in short supply.