View Single Post
Old 07-28-2022, 03:28 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
True, if CWC implementation was followed through, the weapons would be at Johnston Atoll, PB arsenal or elsewhere for destruction. Not sure if the CWC process went down the same way in T2K- could easily see it not happening.

That said, my question was more related to the 55th SRW dispersing earlier than the remainder of the strategic force. Its assets have a pre and post attack C2 and targeting role. I was curious about the the trigger for their dispersal considering it happened in CONUS in advance of the initiation of nuclear warfare and separate of other assets dispersing. Since pact CW use did not trigger a US/NATO nuclear response I wondered if it increased the readiness posture of US strategic forces or if the dispersal was just coincidence.
I have the CWC fall to the wayside when the Soviets suppress the liberalization in Eastern Europe in 1989, so the US plows ahead with development and fielding of the Bigeye chemical bombs and binary chemical rounds, as well as retention of older 1950s-era capability. The mustard gas attack mentioned a few days ago was with older chemical weapons, mustard gas from the 1950s, chosen because it is more persistent than the nerve gas in the modern rounds.

The 55th SRW dispersal was just a forward-looking commander "taking initiative".
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...