Thread: Reforger
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 02:01 PM

Default Reforger

In the time of Twilight, the US had a plan to reinforce Germany in a timely manner called REFORGER. Each autumn, at least one of the designated divisions participated in wargames in Germany traditionally called Autumn Forge (IIRC, we just called it REFORGER at the base-unit level). When REFORGER is called, and I'm refering to the REAL one when the ballon is going or has gone up, the division designated as REFORGER units deploy via aircraft, a mixture of military and civilian, from their home station to a POMCUS location in Europe. The ONLY equipment they take is tool sets, weapons not a part of a vehicle, and the troops with a dufflebag. They have all the vehicles awaiting them at the POMCUS.

There were two armored and three mechanized divisions dedicated to REFORGER along with an armored cavalry regiment, seperate armored brigade, and a seperate mechanized brigade. There were also several field artillery and combat engineer corps level troops involved, but I'm concerned primarily for the moment with the armored/infantry division/brigade formations.

So when they deploy, flying away from home base, they leave behind theri vehicles. The break down by stations in brigade slice sets is as follows.

Ft Hood 4 armored
Ft Polk 2 mechanized
Ft Carson 3 mechanized
Ft Riley 2 mechanized
Ft Bliss 1 armored cavalry
Ft Knox 1 armored
Ft Benning 1 mechanized

THAT folks is a LOT of idle armored vehicles. I realize they might use some for war stocks, but conversion of National Guard divisions to more modern equipment would be what I envision happening, given enough time. A unit with M60 tanks might get the M1 tanks left at Hood, and another unit that is NOT armored will get the M60/M113 left by the first units. Training up these units would take up to six months, a long time for the thin green line to hold.

But I would bet a savy general would make sure there were troops on those vehicles they wouldn't send to cover battle losses. Even the training divisions that in canon are light infantry MIGHT settle on a base where a mechanized division departed. They would fill and train up to operation readiness using the divisional equipment. This overall training cycle would take a minimum of eight months (six would really push it to emergency levels and I would not try it with mechanized formations, but doable with light infanty) to have a green division. Cadre is the cruical points, and it would be robbing Peter to pay Paul there. Eventually you get battle casulites back in the system to help with this, but again time is the enemy.

Just my thoughts and ramblings.
Grae