View Single Post
Old 01-10-2022, 03:39 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
The piece on the Cam Ranh raid is really good. Great writing and really expands the naval war outside the European theatre and Gulf of California!

The ELINT piece is pretty neat. One thing that always struck me in cannon was the fact that effective intel organizations existed beyond TDM. Even though main NSA was probably destroyed during the strike on Meade and Medina was probably lost to the Mexican invasion, the US (or MILGOV) should still have some SIGINT capability. Fort Gordon and the NSA facility there sit within the “Iron Triangle”, and Buckley in Aurora should be firmly under control. Ergo, reset, the last submarine series, satellite down, and other modules may be driven by at least partly by SIGINT.

NIMA may have survived in St Louis, but the Brookmont HQ is likely gone, either fallout from the strikes in the DMV or overwhelmed in civil disorder. Given the attrition of overhead platforms to ASAT and loss of Vandenberg and Canaveral, they may still be able to meet MILGOVs needs. Dissemination would be the problem.
Dissemination (and comms in general) is the biggest problem! After Soviet EMP attacks and the general breakdown of order, even hardened facilities/assets are at risk of civil disorder and the demands of continuing to operate for three years without pre-war levels of support - electricity, food, fuel for backup generators, spare parts, motivation for staff (although rage against the Soviets is a strong one!). In a way, yes, canon is amazing with the level of intel activity that is still ongoing, although they concentrate on the HUMINT side rather than ELINT.

I'm also sort of struck by the important locations that are mentioned as intact in canon - Ft. Benning, Ellsworth AFB, most of the military industry. I guess part is that the anti-C2, anti-petroleum strikes with limited counterforce was sufficient to cripple both nations without leading to an all-out exchange. As we like to remark in the DC Working Group, we want this to remain Twilight:2000 and not Gamma World!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...