View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Banned

Default Good Luck You Are On Your Own Volume 2

Ok now that I have all the rewrites done on the East Africa Sourcebook that Marc wanted me to do for V2.2 I figured its time we finally do this. So hear we go. First page is written of the fanzine - I am in the process of writing up my own contributions. So please send me your own so I can get the 2nd issue ready and out for everyone to enjoy.

Introduction

I remember the first time that I played Twilight 2000 back in college. I had been playing AD&D for years and was looking for new challenges and new games. I tried Aftermath and Gamma World but never really managed to get that same spark, that same sense of enjoyment that I had playing my paladin, Richard Olefin, from early in high school. And then I heard that there was a GM getting together a new group playing something called Twilight 2000. I figured I would give it a try and went in eyes open, hoping at least I would get an enjoyable few nights before I went on to the next game.

Instead what I found was a long campaign that lasted the rest of my time in college, learning how to survive in a devastated and fascinating world, along with a group of new found friends who came along for the ride with me. We fought thru the Soviets at Kalisz, found the Madonna and Reset and got all the way to Warsaw and then to Bremerhaven and home and on the way managed to break out a couple hundred of the men of the 5th and bring them and my M1 tank all the way to that dock and back home to even more adventures, including going to Europe and back on the Corpus Christi. And then college came to an end – and with it the campaign and my time with Twilight 2000.

I tried to find others to start again but it never came to anything. Over the years I moved on, got married, raised a family and even managed to contribute to Bobby Hardenbrook’s Shattered World alternate history before he and I came to a parting of the ways. But I never thought about the game again until I walked into a used bookstore and found four Twilight 2000 modules just sitting there. As I read thru the RDF and Going Home and The Free City of Krakow it all came back again how much I had loved the game. I started to look to see if there was an online group or forum and I lucked into the forum juhlin and started to get back into the game – and almost got kicked off the group right off the bat in the process being way too aggressive. But as I got my legs under me and got back in everyone's good graces I had time to realize just how many people still loved the game and were creating new fan works to keep the game alive. I read them and enjoyed them a lot and then Grimace in 2012 only a few months after I started being on the forum put out the first fanzine.

I read what Matt and Raellus and Jason and James and Peter and Cdnwolf had created and I couldn’t wait for the next volume to come out. I waited and waited and then I decided that if others could write so could I. But instead of a fanzine I wrote about East Africa and Kenya and lo and behold in a couple of years there was my piece of the fan canon. And then I decided to see if Marc Miller might be interested and rest was history. And now there are new published Twilight 2000 modules and sourcebooks, an expanded canon and soon a new V4 version of the game.

I am hoping that you will enjoy reading this second volume of the fanzine as much as you enjoyed the first and that it won’t be seven years until the next volume comes out. I look forward to your submissions and will work diligently to put the fanzine together as quickly as I can.

So all the fans like me never gave up on the game, whose love for it endured thru all the long years when Twilight 2000 seemed to be delegated to the dead games society I hope to hear from you soon and be able to get the second issue together. I have several ideas of my own but this shouldn’t be Olefin’s Fanzine but instead be full of submissions from all of you.

David S. Adams
Olefin

FYI - the last fanzine ended with several things that were going to be in the second volume and then Grimace saying he had received submissions for the next volume - if any of you have those submissions please get in touch with me and I can use them.

Last edited by Olefin; 09-10-2019 at 09:35 PM.