View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
The only true "regiments" in the US military are the Army's Armored Cavalry Regiments, and the Marine Regiments...if you use any other unit then Company D would be about as far as it would go.

The 82nd and 101st both claim to use regiments, but this is more historical than real. Each battalion is lettered starting from A-D.

Sooooooo the chances of a G Coy, 3-143 Infantry would be very slim....

Sorry!
G/143rd Infantry (no battalion assignment, just the regimental) was a LRS Company in Texas that I think had either a III Corps or I Corps wartime mission pre-91. If memory serves me correctly they were enobled from their knuckle dragging infantry status in the 90s by being converted to a light cavalry unit, but the sort of congenital defects that breed succeeding generations of infantrymen down through the ages imposed itself in the mix and somehow The-Powers-That-Be decided what the National Guard really needs is an airborne battalion.

Currently I think they've got a company plus the HQ in Texas, a company in Rhode Island and a company up here in Alaska. (I can only assume someone with a sense of humor thought bracketing Texas' airborne mafia between the biggest and smallest states was witty.)

So, anyway, G/143rd is possibly, though I agree that G/3-143rd is not. You'd just have to explain why a corps recon asset was attached to 5th ID, but it's not like people never, ever get opconned and attached and such.