View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 07:10 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Thanks for all the feedback folks!

On the AMF(L), I had it deploy prior to the outbreak of war in its deterrent role as a show of Allied solidarity, less German units, who were both unavailable (in combat against GSFG) and to avoid any lingering bad feelings about German troops on Norwegian soil, which was a very real concern throughout the cold war. The force's manifest failings as a combat unit led to it being disbanded fairly quickly, the British and Canadian units falling under command of other HQs of their own military, the Belgians repatriated and the Italian deserters who remained to fight (most of the Alpini battalion) and the Luxembourgers attached to the Canadian headquarters.

Changing gear, I'd like your feedback on the format of my documents as I fiddle with the second part of the Norwegian campaign. Are there readability issues? Things I could tweak? This document had pictures in it, is that something that adds to it? (They complicate any effort to publish it, since there may be IP issues with some of them). This document had some maps in the text, but it didn't have where the front lines were on any given date. The Advent Crown and 1998 Campaign documents had links built in to Google maps that showed unit locations at different times. I have a more detailed jpeg map of the western Kola that I can (with an investment of time) put in unit locations. (In that case I've decided a google map isn't going to work because the dirt roads that are about all that exist in most of the area don't show on the map at any useful scale.) This document had references listed, is that something you find useful? Is the orbat useful? Too detailed? Not detailed enough? Should it list equipment types? Numbers? You guys are the audience for what I'm writing up, so I'd like your feedback on how I can make it better. (And that opens another issue... what content-wise can I improve? Too much on logistics? Not enough? More on the air war? Something in my writing style that grates? Always open to feedback on that as well! Seriously!)

And looking forward, I'd like to get the Battle of Germany out next after the Kola campaign. Any preferences for the next history for me to work on after that? I feel RDF Sourcebook and the Korean Peninsula sourcebooks did great jobs (Raellus!!!!) detailing the course of the war in those areas, so I'm not really interested in reinventing those wheels. I'm thinking the Battle of the Norwegian Sea/Third Battle of the Atlantic or 1996-7 Balkan/Turkish theater are the next big lifts, as well as picking up where Webstral left off in the Chinese theater. Or I could shift my focus to doing more unit histories, which I have a lot already started, but with the completion of the Battle of Germany document I would be able to pull together nearly the entire history of the German armies, for example. (I have roughly 20 pages of German Army unit histories drafted so far.)

I'd like to hear your ideas!

Thanks!!!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...