View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I like both of those approaches.

What do y'all think about the Cascade Skill system in v2.2. I think I like it. It makes sense, intuitively at least.

I don't want to hijack the v4 rules thread so I'll continue the approaches to handling language skills (speaking/listening v. writing/reading) discussion here. I think cascading the the two sets of language skills is probably the way to go. Writing and speaking are different skills, but not completely different, and fluency in one is a naturally boost to developing competency in the other.

-
I agree, the Cascade System is an elegant way to group "families" of skills. I actually have additional Cascades in my homebrew game. I also include...

Construction (cascade):
Carpentry
HVAC/Plumbing
Electrical
Welding/Ironworker (riveting and fab bolting)

My Small Arms (cascade)
Pistols
Rifles
Black Powder/Primitive Firearms
Belt-Fed Machineguns

My STEM (cascade)
Chemistry
Biology
Physics

I give every associate skill in a Cascade FAMILIARIZATION (Skill Level 0) when you take a Skill in the "Cascade family." This is because the Skill you took often has some proceedures, formulas, and steps in common with the other skills in that family. In addition, you would be "exposed" to the other skills in the "family" during the course of using the Skill you took at a higher level.

I also give "SPECIALIZATIONS" based on the RAW (1 to 10) SKILL LEVEL. Thus a person with Tracked Vehicle 4 could have 4 "SPECIALIZATIONS." These are SPECIFIC Models or Types of equipment that you have handled and KNOW how to fully operate. Thus, that Tracked Vehicle driver might have the M1, M60E3, T72, and Leopard tanks as his "Specializations." He would be able to just jump in those tanks and run them without need of a manual or instruction. I generally keep weapons Specializations to action types (AK, AR, pump action, bolt action, single action revolvers, etc...)

Finally, I use TW2K13's QUALIFICATION'S Rule. This is essentially a "Skill within a Skill." Using TW2K13's own description, "ALL Surgeons are Doctors BUT... NOT ALL Doctors are Surgeons." A Qualification is a "subskill" that you must buy separately from the parent skill but that "parent skill" acts as both a "gatekeeper" and Skill Limiter to a Qualification. You must have the Parent Skill and the Qualification can NEVER exceed the Parent Skill's level. Examples of Qualifications I use are...

- Rebreather as a Qualification of SCUBA.
- Hacking as a Qualification of Computer Ops.
- Tracking as a Qualification of Perception (my Observation).
- Leadership and Interrogation as Qualifications of Persuasion.
- Engineering as a Qualification of the parent skill (Construction, Chemical, Electrical, etc...)
- EOD as a Qualification of Demolitions.
- Heavy (more than 5 tons, complex transmissions) as a Qualification of Wheeled Vehicle Driver (5 tons or less).
- Heavy, Muli-Engine, Remote-Piloted as Qualifications for Aircraft/Piloting skills.
- Mountaineering as a Qualification of Climbing.
- Celestrial Navigation as a Qualification of Navigation.
- Intrusion as a Qualification of the basic Lock Picking skill.

This adds a depth to the Skill system that RAW 2.2 simply lacks.

MY EXPERIENCE POINT SYSTEM:

I use a system pioneered by TW2K13 but modified to suit my needs. I ADD IN TOTAL ALL of the following Attributes CHA, INT, EDU, and WILL to come up with the Character's Experience Points Per Term. A perfectly average Character will have 20 exp to spend EACH term. He may spend no more than the AVERAGE OF HIS MENTAL ATTRIBUTES (CHA,INT,EDU, & WILL) rounding up per SKILL. This is in addition to any EXPERIENCE POINTS (formerly SKILL LEVELS) awarded by a term's initial training (like the skills you get in basic). That's right! Skill LEVELS in the CARREERS become EXP Points. The cost to learn a SKILL is equal to the new Level being attained BUT, you MUST buy EVERY LOWER LEVEL to advance. For Example ...

Initial Skill = 1 Exp point... This gives you Level 0 "Familiarization." All related Skills in a Cascade are also given Familiarity.

Familiarization to Level 1 = 1 Exp point
Level 1 to Level 2 = 2 Exp points
Level 2 to Level 3 = 3 Exp points and so on.

Qualifications MUST be bought in the same way a parent skill is. SPECIALIZATIONS ARE NOT BOUGHT! They are simply selected [free] with GM approval.

Any Experience Points applied to a Skill which do NOT allow it to rise to a new Skill Level ARE RETAINED in that Skill after initial Character Creation, and can be used along with game EXP points to raise the Skill during play.

Last edited by swaghauler; 05-13-2021 at 02:10 PM.