Thread: Siege of Warsaw
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weiser
To be honest, Legbreaker...there are a few factors you might be overlooking.
I'm sure there are. My previous post was really just a stab in the dark - there's simply not enough published material to say one way or the other what actually happened and why.
I do note though that once the Pact forces began moving forward again in late August 1997, there wouldn't be as great a need for them to use nukes as there was while Nato was advancing just a month or so before.

On the Nato side, it is stated they practised a "scorched earth policy" during their withdrawal, which was speeded up when the Italians and Czechs joined the offensive a week after Warsaw was relieved.

To me it doesn't really matter if the Divisions themselves were the targets or not - chances are they were going to be significantly effected just from hits on nearby cities.
I understand the prevailing weather patterns move west to east. Therefore it is likely (although not definate by any stretch of the imagination) that fallout would effect Pact forces more than Nato. Of course we know from Chernobyl that the fallout from the Ukraine can make it all the way west to Ireland, so.... :S