View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 02:45 PM

Apologies to those who may have already seen some of this in the T2k Free League Facebook group (which is where I found out about this forum!).

I hate to say how much effect Twilight: 2000 actually had on me. I played first edition a lot, and second edition (which came out when I was in the army) a bit. By the year 2000 I was a character I would have wanted to play - I had been an infantryman, a paratrooper, military intelligence, and served in special forces. I spoke Russian (thanks mainly to the Defense Language Institute!) and I was stationed in Germany. But alas, our timeline was different. I didn't even see combat until after 2000, and in the hot deserts of the Middle East instead of the cold forests of Central Europe. I finally retired from the US Army in 2012 with 10 years of active duty and 13 years of reserve service.

After leaving active duty in 2000, I went on to developing video games, mostly military ones, including Panzer Elite, America's Army, Twilight War, Order of War, World of Tanks, World of Warplanes, World of Warships, and Master of Orion. I've spent the last couple of years making simulations (PC and VR) for training military and law enforcement in lethal force decision-making. In 2007, I actually looked into buying the rights to Twilight: 2000, only to discover that they had recently been acquired by 93 Games Studio. Just hearing a couple of weeks ago that the game is being brought back by Free League practically brought tears to my eyes. I still even have most of the reference books I bought in the 80's and 90's for playing the game - many dozens of them.