View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7 View Post
As a matter of interest Ancestor was your state guard outfit armed and with what were they armed with? Did you use the same rifles etc as the Army and National Guard or just hand me downs?
I apologize, I didn't clarify the fact that my experience with state militias was as a traditional Guardsman working in Title 32 status with them during a response, not as a member. I know for a fact that the Louisiana State Militia is not armed, at least not the ones that I met during post-Gustav OPS. As I recall, the NY State Guard is also unarmed. I cannot speak for Texas' State Guard as I was dealing with more of a familiarization type meeting than an operational event and the members that I met were not armed (at least not obviously!)

I can say that in my state (KS) provisions exist in the militia code that officers must supply their own weapons. My old boss (MDay) actually used it to write off the purchase of his civilian M9 as a "business expense". Even though the Army issued him his own M9 for NG purposes both the IRS and KS Dept of Revenue never contested the issue. Without researching the issue for each state, I suspect that most militia codes have similar provisions. Many were written in the 19th century with similar provisions and, when updated immediately prior to or at the outbreak of either WWI or WWII, these were incorporated either by reference or via a specific new statute with the same language. As the Dick Act, which created the modern NG after the Spanish-American war and requires some level of standardization with active Army with respect to training, doctrine, and equipment, applies only to the National Guard and not State Guards, I suspect that in the Twilight world one would see a hodge-podge of both hand me down issued weapons (or, as the Small Arms Guide states, low rent weapons such as the M16 EZ) and personally owned weapons.

Hope that helps and sorry for the confusion!