View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7 View Post
Thanks for all that Ancestor and I am surprised that state guard forces are unarmed. I would have thought that they would have access to state armouries, even hand me down weapons like the M14. I live (part of the year) in the Kansas City area in Johnson Countr, what part of Kansas are you from?
There is still legal debate between the Federal Government and the States about the legality of militias. The Federal Government says that the only authorized militias are National Guard units and that all militias should be regulated by the US government as outlined by the Constitution. Their assertion is the clause that states the Government shall not use the Army to police its citizens in the main body of the document prohibits such organizations. The States claim "State's Right's," and say that such militias are authorized for the STATES under the Second Amendment (as a hedge against Federal aggression). I'm guessing that the Supreme Court will eventually have to make a ruling on this. It is only an issue with a handful of states (mostly southern border states) who have used these militias to assist local law enforcement (mainly along the Mexican border). It does set up an interesting political issue for the Milgov/Civgov debate. The power of a local militia could sway control of a region. Could "friction" between militia and US military or LE units create a problem (this is already happening occasionally in Southern Texas) that "devolves" into open warfare?