View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
There were negotiations?

Ah! non-canon!
I don't know about you, but I love the idea that after rising threat of armegedon, with the use of tactical and theater weapons in Europe (and of course the total nuclear massacre in China), that the Soviets would try to convince the US that it was time to negotiate an end to the war while simultaneously preparing a strike to decapitate the US leadership. I mean, in the canon, the US gets caught flat footed and we end up with the Speaker of the House as president. Meanwhile the Politburo is chugging vodka and borscht in the Yamantau bunker complex under the Urals, safe from a counter-strike.

Of course, in my alternative, non-canon timeline, the Sovs don't nuke china, but do nuke the shit out of their own Islamic rebels, the Afghans, a couple of Al Queda sites in Pakistan (and when the Pakistanis fire back with their tiny arsenal they get plastered), and Iran. Having used nukes on their own soil, the Sovs are teetering on the brink by October of 1997. They have to find a way to sucker-punch the US, and they do by starting peace negotiations, and then sneak attacking. They don't warn their Red Chinese "allies" that they are preparing a strike, so the ChiComs are caught flat footed by the US counter-strike and fare far worse than the Soviets.

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing