View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
Not necessarily in 1995 when the world was smaller.

I might actually incorporate bits into the main history too. Need to check where the unit is in the history.

Isn't the real life version in 22SAS at that point?
Have just flicked through the opening chapters of the real life version's book (Rules of Engagement). As you'd expect details of his time with the SAS are rightly vague. It's not 100% clear, but I think he may have been a Company Commander with 1 Royal Irish for a two year period which included part of 1997.

Pg 9-10, describing the Sierra Leone incident in summer 2000

Quote:
I was now on my third Special Forces tour and had only been back with the Royal Irish for a two year tour as a Company Commander before being summoned back to Special Forces.
pg 27, describing taking over as CO

Quote:
He had a brother in the mortar platoon who I knew well from when he first joined my Company in 1997.
As I said, not 100% clear, but those quotes suggest to me his spell as a Company Commander took in at least part of 1997. Would suggest the fictional counterpart takes over as CO sometime that summer, possibly following death of previous incumbent. Of course, in a T2 World, anything's possible.

In the canon history (v1) 1 Royal Irish Rangers was part of the 15th Armoured Brigade, 2nd Armoured Division (which didn't exist IRL) and 2 Royal Irish Rangers were part of the 1st Infantry Brigade, 5th Mechanised Division.