View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Members as a party.... Slightly OT

TiggerCCW UK 02-26-2003, 08:38 AM I was reading through some of the posts on the board and one of the most intrigueing was the suggestion that we could make up a party from the members of the board. What sort of skills could we all bring to the party?

pyro 02-26-2003, 10:09 AM As a Character I would have low combat skills (i.e. I shoot, but I didn't serve in the military). However in real life I'm a chemist and a volunteer firefighter and I hold a pyrotechnician's liscense. So I know a thing or two about starting and putting out fires, and a thing or two about explosives.

pyro out.

MJGRIFF 02-26-2003, 09:54 PM PYRO don't sell yourself short, those are pretty handy skills and knowledge there. Now my experience would pretty much come from military service, but it's pretty diverse. Being a (current) Scout, and (former) Ranger, I've gotten "around", but I'm damned sure no mechanic (one of the top ten skills in T2000) so someone else will have to fix it (proabably after I break it (I told ya' I'm a Scout !!!)).

Sua Sponte

Griff

TR 02-26-2003, 10:06 PM Some time back I had taken the plunge and tried to create myself using the Twilight rules and what I knew and could do at that time... course it's not perfect as there were somethings that don't translate into the game but I learned to do...

This is what I came up with then:

Character: Tim R. Walker

Initative: 4

Nationality: American

Weight: 60 kg

Rads: 11

Gener: Male

Throw Range: 20

Load: 36 kg

Attributes and Skills

Strength: 5 Constitution: 6 Agility: 6

Hunting Bow-3

Melee Armed-3

Melee Unarmed-3

Small Arms Pistol-4

Small Arms Rifle-4

Thrown Weapon-3

Horsemanship-2

Swimming-1

Stealth-3

Wheeled Vehicle-4

Education: 6 Charisma: 6 Intelligence: 7

Archaeology-4

Biology-1

Computer-4

Geology-3

History-7

Medical-1

Meterology-1

Trivia (Movies & Music)-7

Instruction-4

Leadership-5

Persuasion-5

Fishing-2

Navigation-3

Observation-4

Scrounging-3

No killer commando type but then not all of us have militarybackgrounds either (unfortunatly).

It might serve to amuse others though...

Until Later

TR

pmulcahy 02-26-2003, 11:15 PM Well, I'm a combat veteran with the 82nd Airborne in the US Army, have a decent background in martial arts, have a BA in History with a minor in Poli Sci, and have gotten pretty good with computers (mostly self-taught).

On the other hand, at the age of 40, I am somewhat fat, out of shape due to what we would have called in the Army a "profile," have severe arthritis in my right ankle and shoulder, minor arthritis in my left ankle and shoulder, and of course, schizoaffective disorder, which is basically bipolar disorder with minor paranoid schizophrenia thown in.

I'll let you decide whether I'd be more of an asset or problem.

TiggerCCW UK 02-27-2003, 04:30 AM My own background is non military, although I served with the cadet force for ten years as a cadet and instructor, so I have a basic knowledge of tactics and section attacks etc, plus some NBC training. I am a fair shot, 7th in Northern Ireland at my best, and I have worked summer camps in the US as an NRA instructor on rifle and shotgun. I'm also a first aider. I don't know where my career in bar work and restaurants fits in though........

Rainbow Six 02-27-2003, 05:38 AM Well....I doubt if I'd be much of an asset.

In my entire life I've only spent one day handling and firing a gun (a shotgun, and the clay pigeons didn't shoot back!). I don't have any mechanic or medical skills to speak of either.

In fact, about the only possibly useful skills that I could bring to the group are that I can speak some French and German. Throw in a bit of perusasion - I worked retail sales for ten years before I got a proper job.

And I'm also somewhat out of shape due to what we in the UK call 'lager and kebabs'....

evilmike 02-27-2003, 07:23 AM Weird.

I worked in INSCOM as an intercept op for several years, so I'm proficient in Morse and radio operation. Then I switched to the infantry for Gulf War and got stuck in the motor pool afterwards........did an in-service transfer to the Marines and ended back in the infantry again.....and spent a few years running an office *shudders*.....then managed to blackm...er....get back to the real Corps......where I run a platoon.

So I've got maintainance, managerial, clerical, and signal/intercept skills.

Oh yeah, and I can shoot, but that's what Basic's for.....learning to shoot is pretty simple.....

Don't knock yourself, Rainbow, in a T2K game, you'd be one of the most important people in the group....

"Tell the nice village chief we just want to trade for some food and fuel, we'll give him some ammo."

"But we're surrounded."

"Then tell him he can have it all, but it'll cost him at least half his men...plus him."

dawg180 02-27-2003, 09:16 AM Well, I have a grad degree in architecture and have been running construction jobs for about two years now, so I guess we all know who would be checking the bridges to see if the Humvee could cross it safely

I also took military marksmanship in college as an elective (yes, you can actually do that!) plus I go shooting once to twice a month with rifles and pistols, and would consider myself a decent shot.

As for all those odd skills, I seem to have a knack for being able to fix things mechanical by experimentation (hey, where is the tinker skill?) and have the unusual ability of being able to break into just about any car with a coat hanger and two to three minutes of time.

Someone else better cover the languages though, cause I can't seem to learn foreign languages to save my life!

pyro 02-27-2003, 09:57 AM Now that I've thought about it a little bit, I believe that everyone would have some T2K useful skills. And of course those of us that lack the military type skills would probably make up for it with other skills.

I'm a firm believer in "Necessity is the mother of invention" and that people will find innovative and creative ways to overcome seemingly impossible obstacles.

pyro out.

dawg180 02-27-2003, 10:01 AM If anyone is interested, I believe I have a hard copy of "make yourself in T2K" rules laying around somehwere. A friend of mine found it on the internet a couple of years ago, and it had real-world ways of judging what a person's attributes and skill levels would be. I'll see about posting it on my website sometime in the near future.

Grimace 02-27-2003, 10:49 AM Let us know when you do that dawg, as I'd be interested in seeing how I come out. I'm such a jack-of-all-trades that I don't feel I'd have high skills in anything, but I would have LOTS of skills.

orrin_ladd 02-27-2003, 12:23 PM Originally posted by dawg180

If anyone is interested, I believe I have a hard copy of "make yourself in T2K" rules laying around somehwere. A friend of mine found it on the internet a couple of years ago, and it had real-world ways of judging what a person's attributes and skill levels would be. I'll see about posting it on my website sometime in the near future.

I have the 'make yourself in T2k' generation stats. They were created and posted to the web by a friend of mine. He put them on his page, but when he took his page down, he gave all the files to me. Who knows, maybe dawg's files are different than what I've got?

dawg180 02-27-2003, 01:20 PM Probably not...did it use SAT/ACT scores for INT, weight lifting ability for STR, etc? If so it is the same thing. If not, well I'll post it.

orrin_ladd 02-27-2003, 01:50 PM Hey Dawg, that sounds very familiar. I'll have to take a look at it when I get home. I don't have it in front of me.

dawg180 02-27-2003, 02:31 PM Orrin,

You are from the people's democratic republic of California? You are aware you live ina state where it is basically illegal not only to own a gun, but to smoke in public, right?

TR 02-27-2003, 04:54 PM I've always thought the combat skills, melee skills and such could be taught reasonably well to someone with a little time... not saying they would be shooting out to 1000 meters or fighting like Bruce Lee but enough to get by against the unskilled.

It would be the difficult skills agriculutre, carpentry, languages, medicine, etc which I have always thought would be the more difficult skills for someone to pick up. So even those of us with no military backgrounds could become effective with a gun or bare hands... but its those more challenging skills where folks with the abilities would be worth their weight in gold.

Hey Paul, any speciality in your history degree? Military, etc? From one historian to another we'll just chalk it up to curiosity.

Until Later

TR

pmulcahy 02-27-2003, 05:13 PM Originally posted by TR

Hey Paul, any speciality in your history degree? Military, etc? From one historian to another we'll just chalk it up to curiosity.

Until Later

TR

UTSA did not offer any concentrations as such; I sort of ended up "concentrating" in military and Central American history. I also read a whole lot, more than even us history majors get stuck with reading; when I was an SMP Cadet in the National Guard, you could probably bet someone that half the weight in my rucksack on a weekend was books, and you'd win.

Other than an interest in history, the reason I went for a history degree is that during commissioning, the Army doesn't know what to do with you. If you're a male and you do that, you're virtually certain to end up in Infantry, which was what I wanted.

Of course, why I didn't actually get my commission is another interesting story.

orrin_ladd 02-27-2003, 06:04 PM Originally posted by dawg180

Orrin,

You are from the people's democratic republic of California? You are aware you live ina state where it is basically illegal not only to own a gun, but to smoke in public, right?

Nah, you can smoke, just not indoors. Doesn't bother me that much since I'm allergic to cigarrette smoke anyways.

But I'm still waiting for the results of my DNA test, retina scan, blood test, background check, parent's background check, grandparent's background check, family pet background check, complete physical and psych eval so I can pick up my BB gun.

Anyways, back OT, most of my skills would probably be irrelevant in a post nuke world. Though I did get a merit badge in first aid when I was a Boy Scout.

TR 02-27-2003, 07:23 PM Just curious... my course work pretty much boiled down to Military History and Russian History courses by the time I graduated from Metro State...

Then again it was just a degree in History as MSCD didn't exactly allow the specializations.

Until Later

TR

Rochkano 02-27-2003, 08:06 PM I have a rather diverse set of skills, and as you will see, some seem like a strange combination.

I am an airborne (no cherry jokes, my jump got scratched due to the weather) accountant who was a scout platoon leader for just short of a year. I also went through armor officer basic. Spent a lot of time in the woods hunting as a kid (squirrels to deer and everything in between with rifle, shotgun and bow) and am an Eagle Scout. I know my way around a computer and am in decent (not great) shape. I'm a headquarters company commander so I deal with supply, maintenance, personnel administration, and communications on a daily basis (I'm not authorized the staff I really need, so I get involved in more things than a normal headquarters commander). I feel my ability to find/acquire things through legal a variety of methods is rather good (scrounging). this is just what I can think of offhand (so it's probably incoherent - I'll edit it later, if I remember to that is)

El Tee 02-28-2003, 01:15 AM Here's a bit about me, for what it's worth:

In high school I was a Boy Scout (and Explorer) and learned a bit of outdoor skills (well as much as one can when playing pranks on other scouts). I also worked part-time at a company's IT department. This experience (and my dad's gentle coercion) led me to study Computer Science. In college, I worked at a automotive specialty shop where I sold and installed car parts in addition to working on cars (I'm a bit of a gearhead).

I was also in ROTC and went into the Army Reserve after my undergrad degree was completed. I had grandiose dreams of joining the Rangers, but due to my language skills, the powers that be decided I should go into Intel to translate and analyze communications. This worked out well for me, mostly because I wanted to complete my master's program, and to be a Ranger officer I needed a successful command. My career in the Army was relatively short due to medical reasons following an accident. I suppose if things around the globe got much worse I could get back into service.

Regardless, I earned my Master's and more recently a MBA (Finance). I've contemplated continuing my education by getting an Economics-related degree or possibly going to law school. My current job involves working in an office and pushing papers around - the pay is good, but it's ultimately not very rewarding.

I jog a couple times a week and go to the gym on a regular basis so I'm in decent shape. Without using any type of conversion system, I'd guess that I'd have a good amount of computer skills, admin skills, some military-related skills, and language skills. Unfortunately, not a lot of these skills (computer programming?) really translate into great twilight value. I'm decent with a rifle and pretty good with a pistol (or smg). I know a bit about cars, so I could pitch in to work on the Hummvee.

When I see the "you as a t2k character" info, I'll be able to more accurately demonstrate what I could add to the party. I'd think that in a t2k scenario, I'd still be in the Army.

TiggerCCW UK 02-28-2003, 01:56 AM We are a very diverse bunch! I think we could make out ok as a group. I'm intrigued by the system for generating yourself as a T2K character, but I don't know how well it would work for the UK - no SAT's for a start. It would be interesting to see though. Keep the posts coming folks.

zek 02-28-2003, 08:42 AM well i'm 28 i've been in the Infantry for almost 11years, been to airborne school and air assault school.served in the 101st airborne 1992-1996 ,7th ID "Light" Oklahoma National Guard

1996 - ?.

pmulcahy 03-01-2003, 12:45 AM "Light Infantry" -- that's one of those self-contradictory statements!

liverpoolirish 03-01-2003, 06:11 AM Hi,

Well I've got a chemistry degree, a chemistry masters and did a year of a PhD before chucking it in and now I'm on a PGCE programme (i.e. training to be a chemistry teacher). I joined the reserves after university, being a trained combat infantryman (airmobile) (in the Duke of Connachts Own) and field gunner light gun (airmobile) (in the Liverpool Irish), and I'm currently in the commissioning process.

27 and still at college ;-)

Bryn

Quis Separabit?

orrin_ladd 03-01-2003, 12:36 PM Heckmac's Create yourself as a T2k character here:

http://geocities.com/orrin_ladd/SELF.html

have fun!

Aaron 03-02-2003, 02:43 AM OK, I used Orrins create yourself site, here what I came up with

STR 7

AGL 5 (I was going to give myself a 4 but I did that spinny round thing and didn't fall on my butt so...)

CON 5-6 (I don't get sick much, I'm overweight but lift weights, run and swim about 4-8 hours a week)

INT 6-7 (I'm guessing here, I don't really remember my SAT scores, its been almost 20 years)

EDU 6 (2 AA degrees plus I read lots of history and other stuff, plus I have to take 20+ hours of CE every year for work)

CHA 5 (My dog likes me)

Wildland firefighting 6 (worked many years as a wildland firefighter)

Structure firefighting 5 (and almost as many years as a structure firefighter)

Hazardous materials control 4 (I'm part of a hazardous materials team)

Medical 5 (I was a paramedic)

Civil engineer 2 (training for fire, plus home owner type repairs)

Chemistry 2 (college, plus hazmat and fire behavior classes)

Biology 2 (college, plus EMT and paramedic classes)

Geology 1 (college, plus hobby)

History 2 (college, plus hobby)

Meteorology 2 (I take weather readings and interpret for wildland firefighting and prescribed burning)

Computer 3 (I can get the computer to do stuff that impresses other computer illiterates without resorting to a mallet)

Mechanic 2 (I can usually put the car back together when I take it apart)

Electronics 1 (My hair doesn't look like Don Kings when I rewire stuff)

Gunsmith 1 (See mechanic but replace car with gun)

Smallarms 3 (I've taken some shooting classes and have gone shooting with people who shoot in IPSC matches and they say I'm ok)

Melee combat (armed) 2 (I used to do sword fighting stuff, I won sometimes)

Melee combat (unarmed) 2 (No real training but I'm a big guy, "Hulk smash")

Hunting bow 2 (I've taken some archery classes and hit the target most of the time)

Thrown weapon 1 (I can hit the broadside of a barn, but that's about it)

Forward observer 3 (I talk Airtankers and helicopters to their targets on wildland fires)

Mountaineering 1 (rope rescue training)

Swimming 5 (I swim a lot and worked as a lifeguard many moons ago)

Snow skiing 2 (I used to be ok but haven't skied in 10 years)

Stealth 1 (I'm quiet but will start laughing at inopportune times, Ninja is not an employment option for me and hide and seek was not a favorite childhood game)

SCUBA 2 (I've played with SCUBA a few times and use SCBA at work (firefighter airpacks), but I don't know didly about dive charts)

Instruction 3 (I often provide training at work)

Leadership 2 (I'm supposedly a supervisor)

Navigation 3 (I use map and compass at work)

Foraging 1 (Boy scouts, taught me not to eat yellow snow)

Spanish 1 (Years and years of Spanish classes, obviously it stuck)

Persuasion 2 (I occasionally win an argument, just not with my wife)

Small boat 2 (I've used sail and motor boats, I didn't sink)

Tracked vehicle 1 (I drove a bull dozer once and used to play a lot of Battle zone)

Wheeled vehicle 5 (I commute in the SF bay area, occasionally get my Landcruiser off road, drive fire engines, water tenders, ambulances, crash trucks and just about any thing else with wheels you might see at a fire, I even leave most of the teeth on the gears of split manual transmissions)

This was kind of fun, thanks for the do it yourself character generator.

Ed the Coastie 03-02-2003, 03:33 AM OK...here I go...with a caveat that my signature line isn't kidding

Non-Military: passably competent in Spanish and Sioux, with a smattering of French, German, and Russian..."retired" computer hacker...B.Sc. in Electrical Engineering, with a minor in Military Science (ROTC)...experienced horseman and animal handler...former EMT...civilian single-engine pilot...trained airship pilot (don't ask)...trained "windjammer" sailor...halfway decent scrounger...reasonably competent cook...some martial arts training

Coast Guard (6 years): dual-rated as Gunners Mate and Fire Control Technician...cross-trained (but not rated) Damage Controlman...Expert M-16, Pistol, and Shotgun...qualified 41' UTB Small Boat Crewman, Engineer, and Coxswain

Army National Guard (13 years): graduate of Air Assault, Airborne, and Ranger schools...graduate of Basic Armor Officer's Course...platoon leader (mechanized infantry platoon, armored cavalry scout platoon)...company commander (armored cavalry, light armor)

Now that I'm out of uniform, I'm beginning to do a pretty good impersonation of a career civilian -- my hair is growing longer, and I am starting to develop a noticable stomach despite a regular exercise regimen. For the time being, I am working full-time in a call center and do desktop publishing as a sideline...but a friend (a former Military Intelligence sergeant) and I are in the process of using our Veterans' Benefits to start a small business.

If somebody does manage to locate the "create yourself as a T2K character" info, it might be interesting to plug myself into it. Of course, I would have to equip myself with my favorite weapon: an M1911A1 pistol.

Grimace 03-02-2003, 03:07 PM I had enough time to do the Attributes for myself, so I'll post those. Skills will have to come later. All in all, it seems I'm quite average save for my constitution.

Strength: 6

Agility: 5

Constitution: 7

Intelligence: 6

Education: 5

Charisma: 5

I started working on my skills, but I think I'm going to have to really sit down and think about everything before I post them. All in all, I think I'm going to have a buttload of skills, but nothing very high in them, as I hop from job to job (see my custom line above my avatar). Hopefully I can do that later today or tomorrow.

I'm sure you're all so interested to see how mediocre I'd be.