View Single Post
Old 03-11-2024, 06:48 PM

Yep- I don’t think there’s a question that it’s an easy breach.

I started thinking about the older fortifications as places to hole up, but rapidly realized they were rarely, if ever, fought that way (maybe for Oswego, Carillon, and William Henry) but that most came with outerworks designed to protect the fort itself from direct assault, or at least disrupt the assault. That’s a lot of men then and especially in T2K numbers, so maybe there’s room for the actual “fortresses” (an example being McHenry or Pulaski with infantry ditches and supporting gun positions) and forts (where people seek protection-real or illusory- from the structure itself that you might see in places like Frederick or Sumter).

That said, some of the sea forts would be interesting locations for pirate bases, etc. Imagine trying to get close to Fort Jefferson surreptitiously!

Kind of makes me wonder if some of the sea and island forts may not have given a new lease on life as inspection and harbor defense stations during the first phases of the war. Pea patch island/Fort Delaware for example, is set to cover the close approaches to the Port of Wilmington and Port of Philadelphia. Probably would have been done for by the blast from the Delaware city strike, though.