View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 06:46 PM

Only one small problem I see with this:
Quote:
The carrier remained moored in New Orleans until the middle of WWIII. Given a quick refit and re-equipped, she was recommissioned on 11 March 98.
New Orleans and the surrounding area got nuked in late 1997...

I doubt there'd have been much serious interest in the ship early enough to warrant it being moved. The war started less than a year earlier and am doubtful a 60 year old hull would have held much interest - the battle in the North Sea which destroyed "the last major fleet in being" did not occur until June 1997. Therefore, I can't see anyone in authority starting the process of refitting until a week or later (at best!). Then organising workmen who are probably heavily involved on other wartime projects, plus materials, machinery, etc would add at least another few months...
As the ship was stricken from the Spanish Navy in 89 it's been rusting away for quite a while. It's also highly likely that in it's last years in Spain, maintenance was minimal at best - why spend much time, effort and money on a ship which is about to be decommissioned anyway? Therefore, it's unlikely to be a simple case of an oil change and fresh coat of paint.

So, the assessment is good idea, but it just doesn't quite work given the timelines.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem