View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 02:25 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaf_777 View Post
why not have the entire Canadian force in Norway have them move from Germany to Norway there was certainly enough political pressure in Canada to do so many at NATO that felt if 4 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group and
Canadian Air-Sea Transportable Brigade Group were committed to Norway it would have tipped the balance of power in the region towards NATO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadi..._Brigade_Group
I think that would be a little too drastic of a change from the v1 storyline, which has an entire Canadian division in action in 2000 in Central Europe. As it was, the CAST Brigade's Norway commitment was withdrawn in 1987. More relevantly, transporting a mechanized brigade from southwestern Germany to northern Norway would have been a very difficult move with all the reinforcements flowing into Germany in late 1996, and upon arrival in Norway the armored vehicles would have been tied to the few roads that existed, already burdened with trying to support a large NATO force. The deployment of the US 6th ID from Alaska (a mission which, as far as I can tell, was never considered in Cold War planning) does a bit to tip the balance of power in the theater as well.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...