View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
T2k is very different, it's not a "level up" advancement system so PCs don't appear to "level up" so some Players feel as though they are not being rewarded. This is a false belief but one that persists.
I have to agree to a point and disagree on some of what you said SSC. I agree that most GDW RPGs games I know don't have a traditional sense of "leveling up" like most of the other RPGs out there where you have levels and gain XP in some manner during various sessions or parts of an adventure. They all used the Traveller experience/skill advancement system. That is you gain skills by doing, observation, or studying; it was up to the GM to figure out how to issue those skill points out.

The part that I disagree with you is that there is some form of leveling up. It is talk in both V1 and V2 of the rules where players can gain experience points in a skill to allow for better use later on by their character. This is either through observation, training by an instructor, or outright usage in the game. It isn't given much mention in either version of the rules how skill points are acquired. So it is sort of in the hands of the GM on specifically how to gain those skill points.

In a couple of games that I played under V2 rules, our GM house ruled that we could seek out journeymen or masters in various towns to learn a skill at and we had to roll a 1D100 with a 50% or better on the dice you could gain a skill point in that specific skill under training. We just had to train in a town for at least 30 days of game time. While just doing a skill on an adventure, we had to have a success of a skill at least 5 times or two critical success in the skills during the adventure before we gained experience in its use that could be spend in our next admin session. Our GM was harsh as well, that it took at least two skill points to move something from a null (i.e you never had that skill before and it becomes a 0). So that lead to some of us specialization in certain stock characters (the driver, the mech, the doc, the diplomat, etc). Since the skill points were rare and valuable after a while.

That is the hardest part in showing this, or again any GDW RPG, to anyone who has played anything else in the TTRPG world. That you don't automatically gain some new level with points to spend on anything and everything after you have killed X number of bad guys or completing a supplement and somehow are more powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
By far and away the most compelling carrot in my campaigns has been POL. I've seen parties drop pretty much everything else to chase down rumours of a stash of diesel.
I think supplies is always the reward for most of the players. It would just be an argument amongst players on what to rate the top ten rewards in a T2K world would be to the players.

For me playing it was this:
  1. Fuel. With POL first then alcohol.
  2. Food
  3. Weapons and ammo. You can never have enough ammo
  4. Clean and safe shelter
There are some others that bubble up like information, gold or other precious trade goods, parts for the vehicles. It just mattered once those first five items were meet on what we needed at the moment in game.