View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlion1 View Post
But isn't Prime Base's true defense its being a hidden asset? Something a flight of fighters that will have to launch, if only for training give its location away? At most I could see a flight of fighters (or maybe just two) hidden at a nearby airfield but I really doubt it. The Project would probably depend on other assets to protect Prime Base. Hidden SAM sites or MAR's Teams.
Prime is (was) hidden until activation. In P08 (Prime Base) the Base Commander built the village right at the mouth of the Canyon.

This precipitated the events that takes out the base staff and sets up for the faulty random numbers generator to wake Teams.

So I think, given that, The Project facilities are meant to be hidden until needed. Then at D+ 5 years the Project begins and a huge glowing "open for business" sign goes up over Prime, Regional Bases, and Depots.

That means the defensive nature of the Projects weapon systems (Anti tank but, no Tanks) means local defense of assets and refugees. This then means the need is to be active out to a minimum range, or plan on no assistance from a .mil asset actively engaged in the Soviet attack and invasion.

F-5s are short ranged and rely on a ground station to vector them to a target. Their armament is light and fuel capacity isn't great. The U.S. is fully aware of the capabilities (unless this is a fusion powered F-5!) and the radar profile is stored in the DoD computers for comparison.

Thus, a short ranged F-5 that launches only on command of a ground station and orbits an area no greater than 100 mile radius in a desolate area is going to make the DoD scratch their heads. The .gov remaining certainly would like to take control of or at minimum integrate those F-5s into an overall air defense plan if the project had happened at D + 5 years.

There isn't a .gov or .mil asset until one of the "New Presidencies" can be determined to be legitimate, if that ever happens.