View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
In the original Twilight timeline Australia would support South Korea, the US and the UK against any moves by China and or North Korea. We did in the Korean War (in which Australians fought with great bravery) and we would do it again.

In the traditional Twilight timeline Australia is involved in its own nasty little war with Indonesia after Indonesia invades first Papua New Guinea and then northern Australia. IRL if the Indonesians invaded Australia I would do anything in my power to join the fight. Anything.
The DC group is going on the assumption that Australia is more or less intact, but large areas are out of communication with the central government. The Indonesian invasion fell apart from a combination of really fierce resistance, being totally outclassed, huge distances of really harsh terrain between their landing beaches and any point of strategic importance, and Indonesia falling apart as the nuclear exchange went on and the world gradually fell apart - no resupply.

Australia sent a mech brigade to CENTCOM, and an ANZAC brigade to Korea. They also sent SAS troops on the Cam Ranh raid written up on my website.

Darwin is under the "guidance" of its local military commander and cut off from the rest of the country. This is based on IRL the railroad to Darwin just being completed in the last 5 years or so.

In late 2000, the US, Australia and New Zealand are still firm allies.

The rest will come out in the Survivors Guide to the USA! (someday, hopefully in 2009!)
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...