View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Cthulhu is my pointman

The Boys From Baghdad- Simon Lowe

My dad read this and slung it my direction when he was finished. A man who was in the British Army for seven years, went on to serve with the French Foreign Legion for a decade then decides to become a PMC with ArmorGroup in Iraq, guarding convoys. Ambushes and friendly fire incidents all seem to be in a days work for this guy.

McAleese's Fighting Manual-Peter McAleese

An ex British para, with experience in Aden and the like, he went on to do mercenary work in Angola for the FNLA (Taking over from the infamous Colonel Callan). After that he served in Rhodesia with their SAS during the Bush War, continuing onto South Africa after it ended. Even after a parachute accident, this man went on to do some mercenary work in Colombia before training Russian bodyguards.

His manual is a book describing the basics of small-scale infantry combat. Its clearly orientated around the platoon and is chock full of anecdotes of his experiences, particularly those in Africa. He's a big fan of low-tech solutions and has an endless array of dirty tricks to divulge. A veyr interesting read.

Also, good to see Sniper One getting some love here. Absolutely fantastic book!