View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 10:57 AM
bigehauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
along the lines of Graebeards posts about obsolete technology I guess displays of old gear like ox drawn plows and hand crancked water pumps etc that some place have for decoration or as an educational exhibition would have stuf that could be useful .Most scavengers would go right by not knowing what it is or not having the means to haul it off.

( survivor a:"what did you do before the shtf ?"

survivor b:"I was a financial analyst and senior acount manager at JP Morgan .And you ?"

a: "I was pool guy and gardner at the houses of senior account managers.I got to do some serious thinking about our potatoplanting operation .Go get some pails of water in the meantime and do not disturb until I tell you".
)

Same could apply to weaponry as well.Factory loaded or well made handloads ,reliable ammo in general will get expensive in relative terms.Having a firearm that is useful on "homegrown ammo" is going to be an asset. Shooting every pesky stray dog that threaten your rabbit cages with a .223 or scaring of a hungry vagabond with a warningshot from your 9mm is going to be costly over time.Collections of nice blackpowder firearms ,crossbows etc could be a useful gaming objective .
A few civil war-/revolutionary war -/Indian wars-/subjugating the wild west- etc - display cases with uniforms,a musket and maybe a Colt navy 1851 along with bulletmoulds etc .As long as weapons are well kept since they were made ,you could use them .Or trade them etc
Heh heh...there's a museum I am part of back home that served as my reenacting unit's home, and sponsor...that has just that, and more... at least two of each gun museum, we call it...owned and operated by an old Red Leg named Bill Douglas...he's been a Class III and Curio and Relics firearms dealer since WAY BACK...1971 is when he went Class III...great guy, and a good friend to have in times like T2K.

Last edited by bigehauser; 01-01-2009 at 11:09 AM.