View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unipus View Post
Yeah but on the other hand there are a LOT of people who know D&D VERY well. Probably as well or more so than hardly anyone knows the US Army. People with years (or decades) of game knowledge and sourcebook knowledge. So short of having "lived" it they definitely have more than a passing understanding of the world and how it works, and a functional/mechanical understanding far beyond that.

This is actually one of the reasons I don't really play D&D, but I digress.
I think the difference is that in a fantasy RPG, everyone is readily willing to suspend disbelief the same way. In a game with "realistic" conditions, the suspension of disbelief is tempered by each person's experiences. I was playing in a TW:2K game years ago with high school friends. Fast forward after we graduate when one of my friends was fresh out of Army boot camp and MP school . Those M16A2s in the v1 rules? No good - because he actually trained with M16A2s and insisted we create rules for them that reflected an accurate rate of fire. The v1 rules show a ROF of 4, and each "shot" is actually 3 bullets, while the M16A2 only fires single shot or 3-round burst. Up until then, we didn't know - all we saw was M16 and basing it understanding off of Vietnam-era information with the full auto M16A1...