Thread: FARMING in T2K
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 02:20 PM

General: In all honesty I do not have much knowledge about hemp, though I do agree it would be a good crop to cultivate. There are strains used known as industrial hemp that have very low THC levels (the drug substance in hemp) which produce jsut fine and are being licensed in several states for use.

The only food reference I see for hemp is bird seed, and as I said I don't know enough about the plant. I do know it is an ancient fibre crop for cloth, cordage, and paper making. In fact, the first paper as we would know it, not papayrus (sp) was made with hemp fibres from the textile process, or so it is beleived. I know hemp is said to make excellent bow string, on par or surpassing linen. The fibres are generally very long which helps the process.

As for recreational use, to each their own. And yes during WW2 there was a lot grown in the midwest from Kentucky north generally, under permit from the feds since it was a controlled substance even then. It goes wild rather easily and is relatively easy to grow and harvest.

Bro:
I agree with the small critters for small holdings. The idea we 'need' meat in every meal is proven to be wrong (no I am definately NOT a vegan), but it sure does help break the monotony while adding protien the body needs and also is a way to cycle unedible (to humans) vegetable matter to what we can eat.

I whole heartidly agree with the geese. They will 'attack' as well as raise a ruckus at ANYTHING that is not suppose to be there.

Weasels are blood suckers. They will puncture the neck and drink the blood of chickens, or what ever they get a hold of. Ferrocious for their size too, the cousin of wolverines. Any ways, IF you could get the chicken before it layed too long after the weasel got to it, you could still cook it. I think one of the most destructive critter though is the coon. They will get chickens, eggs, vegetables and what they don't eat they will destroy. Had a family visit the corn patch one night (about 1/4 acre) and they destroyed 1/3 of it 'looking for the right ear' . BUT they can go into the pot too

Grae