View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
It's an interesting idea. I like the advantage/disadvantage idea for certain circumstances but I'm not sure I like it for equipment that gives you a mechanical advantage e.g. the tripod.
The ad/disad system generally gives you an equal chance of scoring good or bad so I figure this means that if you get two lousy results for the skill check the tripod hasn't really done anything extra for you when it should.
However if it adds to your skill check in some way then the percentage chance of success is somewhat better all the time making it worthwhile to use whenever you can.
Players want to stack the odds in their favour, it's natural, they want their characters to survive & thrive. The ad/disad system feels like it completely negates the ability to shift the odds a little more in your favour when using something like the tripod in this example.
One of the options I have been considering is a Skill Level based bonus. My players are REALLY ENJOYING my [RAW] skill-based rules for Outstanding and Exceptional Success*, so I have been considering:

Skill Level 0 = No bonus as you are not knowledgable enough to gain a bonus.
Skill Level 1 thru 6 = A bonus of 1 to the roll for tripods with T&E gear.
Skill Level 7 thru 9 = A bonus of 2 to the roll for tripods with T&E gear.
Skill Level 10 = A bonus of 3 to the roll for tripods with T&E gear.

This will give more skilled gunners a better bonus (as befits their higher experience).

* My Skill Level based bonus is designed to reward high Skill Levels (training) over high Characteristics (natural talent) and it works like this. You get an Outstanding Success if you roll under your RAW base Skill Level on an AVERAGE Task. To get an Exceptional Success, you must roll under HALF of your RAW Skill Level on 1D20. So, in practice, it looks like this:

A PC with an Attribute score of 7 and a Skill Level of 3 would succeed at an AVERAGE task on a roll of 10 or less. They would score an Outstanding Success IF they rolled a 3 or less. They would score an Exceptional Success on a roll of 1.

A PC with an Attribute score of 3 and a Skill Level of 7 would also succeed on a roll of 10. HOWEVER, they would achieve an Outstanding Success on a roll of 7 or less. They would achieve an Exceptional Success on a roll of 3 or less on an AVERAGE Task.

On an Outstanding or Exceptional Success, you score a Special Manuever. My players have a great affinity for this new system and I have LOTS of positive feedback on Skill-based Success.