View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 10:39 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab
The best defense against infantry attacking your vehicles is your own infantry, but they can't perform that job well if they aren't dismounted. Sure, you can suppress enemy infantry from the vehicle, but you are going to have to send in your infantry on foot to clear out the enemy.

That is part of the point I am trying to make.

5 dismounts in the vehicle is not enough to clear or secure an area or provide protection for the vehicle.

And as for firing from inside the vehicle. if the vehicle is moving going from point A to point B, or it is moving to target X at a rapid pace so that the infantry can't walk, they need to be buttoned up. Then as they come around a corner a SAW opens up, but from the oposite side a ballsy Cpl comes out of a bush with a WP or Thermite grenade to toss on the engine grill or fuel tank?

That is the benefit I saw in the firing ports. To defend the vehicle against troops who got close and are trying to climb atop or toss on a grenade to take the vehicle out.

It is similiar to how tanks "scratch" each others backs when that happens. Another tank will machinegun a freindly tank to eliminate enemy infantry crawling on it.

But, yeah, infantry is the best defence for infantry attacking a tank. It makes the tank a true force multiplier. However, I would put my money on one or two rifle squads if they had a couple of AT-4s going up against one of those BMP-Ts with a full compliment of infantry dismounts, the exceptions of course being in wide open places which the best course would be to withdraw or attack in darkness, but in wooded, mountainous or urban forget it. Or even trenches and bunkers the tank with its compliment is at a disadvantage.

And I would even go far as to say if they went against infantry in a field with tall grass or crops in them the tank would have issues.