View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 12:33 AM

Back in the day, I only ever really carried two weapons (if you ignore grenades, claymores, bayonets, LAWs, etc).

An M60 machinegun and a hand axe...

Why bother with all those pathetic little peashooters when you can riddle them with lead? And believe me, there's nothing scarier than somebody shaking an axe at you!

From the rules perspective, pistols are little better than a thrown rock with most only doing 1D6 damage and recoil restricting accurate shooting for an average character to just one or two shots per turn/phase. Range is also usually pathetic compared to the rock (at least at close and medium for an average to strong character).

Even 5.56mm and 5.45mm rifles are rather underpowered really which is why I usually go for nothing short of 7.62N. In my view, if you absolutely have to have a sidearm, there's nothing better than an 8 gauge sawnoff shotgun.

Description: Referees must give heed if a character chooses to use this weapon. Ammunition will not be found; it must be made. It also makes a LOT of noise. People will know you are there. OBS improves one difficulty level to find a character using this weapon. Not to mention it is a true calling sign. Not many people have one of these and ‘survivors’ will remember characters by this weapon. Damage at Medium range is halved; anything past medium range is unaffected physically but must make a panic check. The advantages of this weapon are obvious. Damage of 7 (14 buckshot at close range), and very easy to conceal. When a character misses, the target character must make a panic check at –3 for short range and –2 for medium range. Failure is treated like any other panic failure (the character freezes or flees.)