View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

The US Army was still exploring these issues during the time between the end of the 9th ID (HTTB) and the formation of the Stryker Brigades. An example is the detailed discussion of how to organize a XM-8 battalion at https://www.knox.army.mil/center/oco...5stanton94.pdf (For convenience I've used the TOE detailed above for the assault gun battalions in the light divisions and 9th ID.)

One factor to keep in mind is the rivalry between the infantry branch and armor branch - the infantry wanted control of the infantry support assault gun, while the armor branch saw anything with tracks, a gun and no infantry inside as its responsibility, and it wasn't interested in an air-deployable vehicle with a gun that couldn't defeat a T-72/80 reliably. So the infantry guys wanted it but were forcing it on a community that didn't - similar to the A-10 in the USAF. With the post-Cold War budget cuts and the lack of any visible threat that required a XM-8/LAV-75 or similar, the project died.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...