View Single Post
Old 05-29-2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
I played the stuffing out of that game in the past, and come back to it sometimes. I'll be running 24 hours of it at Origins next month.

I don't think of it as T2k at macro, the game is set up to cover too short a time period, and a Soviet attack, rather than a NATO one. The new printing from Compass does have more of a Poland map, though. The logistics rules would need a lot of rewriting to cover 1996-2000 operations, IMO.
I played it a lot when it came out. Mostly solo, as few of my friends had the endurance to slug through the rules and all four maps.

I did do situation reports, mostly analyzing Pact strategies and ways that NATO could neutralize a front by picking on shaken/demoralized-capable Pact nations

Key takeaways:

* Neutralizing Pact Allies is only effective in Southern Front, Pact can "make do" with crippled allies just fine in all other fronts, and the amount of forces you have to divert is isn't worth it).

* Either side diverting anything more than a smidge of airpower away from the Northern Front won't make a hill of beans difference elsewhere, and dramatically weakens their own position.

* The Pact can't win the WF air war past turn 1, no amount of cratering will dig a hole NATO can't crawl out of, and stripping adjacent theaters of air power only prolongs the struggle. The Pact WF can protect 2-3 missions per turn, and the rest is just a sacrifice.

* If the Pact sends your older jets to other theaters, that leaves your good jets vulnerable to NATO cratering...but you can send them ALL away, wreak holy havoc down south, and try to knock out Greece/Turkey/Yugo/Austria, then spend late game pushing on Italy...that gets fun.

* The smartest tactic for NATO is to keep an airmobile ZOC line across Germany, never ever stacking units with airmobile ZOC, and hope that the Pact keeps bashing into that line until they're ineffective. Never counterattack with American divisions, just keep cycling them and removing distruptions. It's effective, but sweet jesus is it dull.