Thread: Twilight 2025
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 07:32 AM

A few years ago (2014 I think) Raellus and I tried to spin up a timeline for Twilight: 2030. Detailed notes (at least from my end - Rae may have more info) are on a now defunct laptop but from what I recall the bullet points were

1. The US gets involved in the Pacific with China. As I recall proposed flashpoints were Taiwan or the Spratlys. A general War breaks out in the Pacific that gradually draws various regional players into either the main US / PRC event or other more localised conflicts (e.g. Australia / Indonesia). I can't remember what we decided about Korea but some sort of War between North and South seems highly likely.

2. With a proportion of the US military deployed to the Pacific Theatre, the Russian Federation makes a land grab for the three Baltic States, on the expectation that NATO is not to go to War over them, particularly when its largest member is significantly committed elsewhere. This turns out to be a miscalculation as NATO does respond in accordance with its treaty obligations (or rather some of NATO does - the intent at the time was to try and mirror the V1 timeline as much as possible, so a fractured NATO was included as that was a thing in V1).

3. Iran and Saudi Arabia go to War. As I recall we posited Iraq as the main battleground.

The idea was to try and get to a situation in 2030 that was akin to the V1 timeline in 2000. It got as far as an Rpol game which basically was the death of the 5th Division (Rae posited that the 5th Division was reformed at some point after the start of hostilities) but in western Belarus in the summer of 2030 rather than central Poland in the summer of 2000. It was a good game while it lasted - had a good crew.

I've said this before, but I think Free League missed a monumental open goal trying to rework the V1 / V2 timeline. They would have been vastly better served if they'd pushed things forward to a Twilight 2025 or Twilight 2030.