View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHart View Post
Museum Carriers and locations:

USS Yorktown is located in Charleston, South Carolina and was a museum ship before the start of the Twilight war. I've been on it and it looked to me that she would need a lot of work to get it operational. At best it could operate as an adhoc helo/amphib ship.

USS Hornet is located in Alameda, California . I've been on it and it appeared to be in good condition. In 1970 she was decommissioned at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard Bremerton, WA. Didn't become a museum until 1996. Load it with some A-4s and helos, and the Grey Ghost could harass Mexican/Cuban forces in California, as long as the avgas lasts.

USS Intrepid is located in New York City, New York. Became a museum in the early '80s.

USS Midway is located in San Diego, California. I've been on it and it is in great shape. The ship was decommissioned in 1992, her sister ship Coral Sea was decommissioned the year before. In the Twilight war, both ships could conceivably be reactivated and operate F-18s and helos.

USS Lexington is located in Corpus Christi, Texas. Decommissioned in 1991, and made a museum in 1992. Presumably still serviceable for the Twilight war, the Blue Ghost could operate planes or helos in the Gulf of Mexico.
I don't know about the rest of the carriers as museums by the Lex is sunk in about 20 plus feet of mud, and was gutted well before becoming the museum. UNLESS they did a major yard on her, she wouldn't do much good. Also she is about a mile or two from the closest refinery on refinery row. While not physically damaged too badly I could she her listed in the mud and such an angle that it would probably not get moved post attack. No tugs big enough there to do the job for one thing, and major dredging to get her out of the muck. All that was brough in from NOLA IIRC when they planted her. I was living there at the time and it was big local news.