View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
Would JROTC remain as a citizenship/character building program or would it become more focused on fitness and common task skills once conscription was instituted and it became clear this wasn’t going to be a quick war (summer 97 curriculum change)? I could see no weapons training (maybe weaponeer or .22), but more PT, NBC skills, AFV ID, etc.
When I was in Air Force JROTC (mid-70s), it was a point to advise the parents that JROTC was not a 'boot camp' and there was absolutely no service obligation. Several years later, my son joins Army JROTC (2019) and I was shocked that they had the kids doing rifle drill, marksmanship training, and PT. And this was after the Lieutenant Colonel commanding, promised no military boot camp...

So...with an increasingly deteriorating international situation, I can see efforts to use JROTC as a 'prelude' to basic training, and with the outbreak of war (for the U.S.) maybe even a quick NCO academy to get Corporals at least.